Homemade pizza and stromboli
Here is how I make the dough: (adapted from Jay's Pizza crust on Allrecipes)
* 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast (I use one package of Fleischman's)
* 1 rounded teaspoon brown sugar
* 1 1/2 cups warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
* 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 teaspoons salt (more or less to your taste, dough is not salty at all.
* 2 tablespoons olive oil
* 3 1/3 - 4 cups all-purpose flour
1. In a large bowl, dissolve the yeast and brown sugar in the water, and let sit for 10 minutes.
2. Stir the salt and oil into the yeast solution. Mix in 3 cups of the flour.
3. Turn dough out onto a clean, well floured surface, and knead in more flour until the dough is no longer sticky. Place the dough into a well oiled bowl, and cover with a cloth. Let the dough rise until double; this should take about 1 hour. Punch down the dough, and form a tight ball. Allow the dough to relax for a minute before rolling out. Use for your favorite pizza recipe.
4. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. If you are baking the dough on a pizza stone, you may place your toppings on the dough, and bake immediately. If you are baking your pizza in a pan, lightly oil the pan, and let the dough rise for 15 or 20 minutes before topping and baking it. (this makes enough for 2 pizzas on jelly roll pans, or one pizza, one stromboli, or 2 strombolis)
5. Bake pizza in preheated oven, until the cheese and crust are golden brown, about 12-15 minutes.
For sauce, canned contadina is good straight from the can, or Furmano's canned sauce, (but with a teaspoon of sugar added to it to cut the bitterness.) I have yet to make my own!
Ok, for pizza cheese I use a blend of 50/50 shredded mozzerella and shredded american cheese. Awesome topped with pepperoni!
Roll dough out to about 1/4 inch thickness. Top with thinly sliced ham and pepperoni to within 1/2 inch of the edge. Arrange 4-5 slices american cheese down the center of the dough. Carefully roll stromboli (long end to long end) and place onto a lightly oiled baking sheet. Seal dough seams with a beaten egg, brush remaining beaten egg over out remainder of stromboli. Sprinkle outside with italian seasoning (I use McCormick's Italian seasoning grinder, it has garlic, red pepper and rosemary in it in addition to basil and oregano-yum!) Bake this in the oven at 400 for about 25-30, until golden brown. Let rest at least 10 min before slicing so the cheese won't run out.
Your house will smell like a pizzeria!! Good luck!
I coupon, therefore I am.